As Level/Quest Designer I always was creating content with greater emphasis on gameplay than story .
We all know that Gameplay is the King BUT where is the Queen?
It’s better and more interesting for the player to have a story combined with mechanics, world, characters and quests. Not just ‘don’t ask – just play‘ but create purpose of existence of things in the game and clear meaning of goals that a player get during the game.
So I became more interested in Writing – this means creating stories, interesting plots, and formulating thoughts in pleasant language for the reader. Here a list I have created after visiting websites and getting information in-life.
Here is TOP 5 books about Writing:
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- On Writing by Stephen King
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser
- The 21st Century Screenplay: A Comprehensive Guide to Writing Tomorrow’s Films by Linda Aronson
- The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle by Steven Pressfield
If you seek for more knowledge here are more materials about Writing:
- Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction by Damon Knight
- Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets A Novelist Can Learn From Actors by Brandilyn Collins
- How to Write Best Selling Fiction by Dean R. Koontz
- Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish by James Scott Bell
- Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose by Constance Hale
- Story Structure: The Key to Successful Fiction by William Bernhardt
- Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain
- Thanks, But This Isn’t for Us: A (Sort of) Compassionate Guide to Why Your Writing is Being Rejected by Jessica Page Morrell
- The Forest for the Trees (Revised and Updated): An Editor’s Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner
- The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
- The Writing Life: Writers On How They Think And Work by Marie Arana
- Wild Mind: Living the Writer’s Life by Natalie Goldberg
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg and Julia Cameron
- Writing the Breakout Novel: Insider Advice for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level by Donald Maass and Anne Perry
- Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity by Ray Bradbury